Monday, March 17, 2008

I thought Kobe was supposed to be hurt

How is it a guy who was SOOOO hurt that...

  • he couldn't play but 3 minutes in the All-Star game

  • he needed to put an ice pack the size of Mt. Everest on his hand when while he sat on the bench during the All-Star game

  • the team doctors recommended surgery

  • he is being viewed as being a tough competitor because he's putting off surgery until after the Olympics
yet...
  • dropped 50 on the Mavs

  • destroyed the Heat

  • beat the Suns

  • and is dunking HARD with his supposedly injured right hand
I didn't do a lot of dunking during my basketball playing days (read: never), but it seems to reason that banging my hurt hand against the rim several times a night would not allow me to go out the next night and shoot over 50%?

This reminds me of the old story of Michael Jordan having the flu and then going out and scoring 38. I've had the flu before and I didn't even feel walking 10 feet from my bed to the bathroom, so how was it that Jordan not only scored 38 but trusted to dunk a missed Scottie Pippen layup on a fast break (see around 2:03 on the video)?

C'mon, these guys do seem to do superhuman things (like LeBron's "I believe I can fly" dunk vs. the Bulls), but do we really need to add tall tales to the legend? There may be something out of whack with Kobe's finger, but I'm having a hard time believing that he is hurt.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

testing...

Unknown said...

now that I have figured the method of posting..

The bigger scam will be when Kobe wins the MVP over Chris Paul. When you consider who is doing more with less, I would have to think Chris Paul is more deserving plus the Hornets have a better record. I am no basketball expert, but I believe Chris is only in his second year and schooling the NBA. I Know the Hawks are kicking themselves