Saturday, March 1, 2008

Politics ain't the only thing that makes strange bedfellows

I find it quite amusing that Bob Knight, one of the most polarizing coaches in the sports media landscape, is now going to do a stint with the worldwide leader. I vividly remember the interview of Bob Knight by Jeremy Schaap where he punked Jeremey by saying he had a long way to go before he could measure up to his dad (the late, great Dick Schaap). I also have read articles from others in the ESPN family that have provided stinging analysis of Knight's character. And now is all forgiven? What happens when Bob Knight bumps into Pat Forde at the snack machine (hopefully the .com people office in the same building as the on-air talent)? I would love to see how some of the ESPN talent interact with Knight when he's up in Bristol. Do they stay away from him? Or do they glad hand and suck up to him? I guess there are at least two lessons here: 1)It's easy to critique someone from a distance, but do so with the understanding of one day that distance might shrink considerably and 2) politics ain't the only thing that makes strange bedfellows. Money is such a powerful motivator...capitalism - ya gotta love it!

2 comments:

murseyme said...

I am equally excited to see how this marriage turns out. I was not very knowledgable about some of the history between him and reporters, but I am not surprised. I am now more intrigued than ever to see if there are any cracks, cussing, chair throwing,etc. if someone crosses him. The discussion I have heard about his coming focuses on the question will he drop the f-bomb on air. I for one will anxiously anticipate that very moment and I want to see it first -hand. He is publicly known for his over the top antics and language. I am sure that there were coaches other than Knight who found themselves unemployed. I imagine that ESPN is also looking forward to the fireworks. This is very much akin to the Janet Jackson experience. CBS hired MTV to produce the halftime show. MTV. You don't expect to see turtlenecks and clerical robes.

Unknown said...

I am little late to the table on this one. I saw Bob Knight on the TV the other night during the Marchmadness games. It was on CBS so I presume I am still on topic regardless. What I noticed about the bunch on the panel (Dick, Bob,Digger, Jay, etc)was a strange vibe. It was very akward in my opinion. I wanted to hear what Bob had to say because I felt he had the most credibility on College Basketball of the whole crew, but his personality was strange to say the least. The only person on the panel that seemed ok talking with him was Dickie V. It would take me a full article to accurately describe. But I would call it the total opposite of the (College Football) Gameday Crew and how you would think those guys grew up together. Let's just say I would not be surprised if it turns out he and Digger are not best of buds, but I could be totally wrong...